After Hours Clinic
2437 Princess Street, Suite 200
Monday to Friday 5pm to 8pm
Closed Saturday, Sunday & Stat Holidays
Please arrive early. Registration begins at 4:30pm. If you arrive after 7:45pm you may not be seen.
Before you come to the clinic...
- Are you a patient of the Kingston Family Health Team? The after hours clinic provides care to patients of the Kingston Family Health Team only.
- Have you spoken to your family doctor’s nurse or assistant? There are same day appointments available for urgent medical problems during regular hours in your own doctor’s office.
- Have you called the Telephone Health Advisory Service (THAS)? This service puts you in touch with a Registered Nurse who can provide after-hours telephone health advice for patients who are enrolled with a Family Health Team. They can be reached by calling 1-866-553-7205.
- Narcotic prescriptions will not be re-filled at the After Hours Clinic.
- If you are in crisis and need immediate mental health care please go to the nearest emergency department or call the crisis line at 613-544-4229.
WHO SHOULD USE THE CLINIC?
If you have new worrisome symptoms, a child that is ill, or worsening of a chronic medical condition which you feel cannot wait until a routine appointment with your family physician, you will be assessed. However, your visit is not meant to replace the complex and continuing care that your family doctor can provide. Remember, the after hours clinic is meant to provide care to patients of the Kingston Family Health Team for urgent non life-threatening problems only.
COUGHS COLDS AND HOARSENESS
If you only have a cold or cough, and no fever or risk factors for pneumonia (age over 65, chronic bronchitis, cancer, heart disease or other chronic illness), sitting in the clinic will not make you feel better and will only increase the chance of making those around you sick. For advice call your doctor or nurse.
THE CLINIC CANNOT HANDLE LIFE THREATENING EMERGENCIES
If you have chest pain, if you think you are having a stroke, heavy bleeding, fractures, severe allergic reactions and trouble breathing, call 911 immediately or go directly to the nearest emergency department.
GENERALLY YOU WILL NOT BE SEEN FOR THE FOLLOWING:
- Routine blood pressure checks
- Regular prescription renewals
- Results of lab tests or procedures
- Work notes for absences due to illness (if exception is made, the usual charges will apply)
- Requests for referrals, procedures or for appointments with your own doctor